db-torque-user mailing list archives

From KeyofDMinor <keyofdmi...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Best Practices for read-only operations and concurrency?
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2004 21:58:11 GMT

Thanks to everyone for their input.

After some thought, I've decided that I was indeed
being paranoid.  Especially upon the revelation that
the BasePeer.doSelect() method will create a
transaction itself! (I am using doSelect() heavily.)
In my scheme, I would have had a read-only transaction
wrapping a standard transaction, which is crazy.

I've decided to stay with a TransactionManager (TxMan)
class that simply provides timing information and
catch blocks.  The TxMan.read() method does not try to
optimize -- it simply calls the read() method on the
interface. I'll let Torque handle the transaction and
I'll let Oracle handle the concurrent read/write
issue.

Our application simply doesn't merit a great deal of
work with respect to isolating transactions.

thanks again,
Mike