db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Saravana Krishnan <saravkr...@uky.edu>
Subject RE: Village for Oracle patch.
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2004 00:37:24 GMT
Hi Ben,

> >>Is this hanging noticed only in tables with LOBs or does it hang on any
> >>table where locking is performed?
>
> This is a very good question :-) I think that this table with the LOB is the
> only one where any locking is taking place in my application. My
> understanding is that Oracle locking is only done when a specific "select *
> where * for update" command is used (this command is also system.out'd,
> presumably from your patch). If this is the case, then its the only table
> where I have noticed this problem, as the remainder of the app is doing
> standard Torque Deletes, Updates and Inserts using Torque (varchar and
> numbers) and I believe from the Torque logs that no such commands are done.

So I assume you access your tables using only Torque and don't use any
custom SQL statements to access the database.

> One futher point I would like to add, is that this problem is not likely to
> happen alot in my app. I have locked the row
> using SQLplus, and not another instance of myApp.

What do you mean by "locked the row using SQLplus"? Do you mean Stored
procedures? Why do you lock the row in the first place? I'm confused.
Explain more about the scenario please. What is myApp (I can see its
something you wrote ;-) ) Is your application a webapp or a standalone
app?

I think there is a way to ask Oracle to not wait (add NO WAIT at the
end) but I'm not sure I want to make it the default option of Village. I
don't know if Torque passes on "lock requirements" to Village. If it
does and I can figure out how to get that property within village, I can
add the feature to not wait on locks.

~Sarav