db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <...@intermeta.de>
Subject Re: Torque BaseXXX in Transaction and the isNew() Method Check
Date Mon, 27 Sep 2004 08:04:06 GMT
T E Schmitz <mailreg@numerixtechnology.de> writes:

>Hallo Henning,

>Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:

>> Well, it might be a good idea to add a "lastState" property to the
>> generated peer classes...
>>

>What exactly do you mean by "lastState" property?
>Do you mean a shadow object that allows youto fall back to the last
>saved state?

No, no, much easier. Basically.

private boolean isNew = false;
private boolean lastNew = false;

public void setNew(boolean isNew)
{
	this.lastNew = this.isNew;
	this.isNew = isNew;
}

public boolean isNew()
{
	return isNew;
}

public boolean isLastNew()
{
	return lastNew;
}

so if you have to roll back a transaction, you can do

[...]
	myObject.setNew(myObject.isLastNew());
[...]

And restore the "new" state of the object before a transaction. If you
want complete rollback, then you would need a shadow object, right. I
consider this outside the scope of Torque.

>Correct me if I am wrong but I think there is another pitfall regarding
>the modified flag: in doUpdate(...) the modified flag is set to false
>unless an exception was thrown. But as there is no feedback whether the
>update was actually successful it is possible for the flag to be set
>without the update having been carried out. (The record might've been
>deleted in the meantime or modified such that the criteria didn't grab
>the record).

Could be, yes. I've not ventured deep inside the Peer/Object logic,
mainly because my stomach gets upset. ;-)

	Regards
		Henning

                                    Open Source Software Development"