db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <...@intermeta.de>
Subject Re: torque table schema- how to alter existing table
Date Tue, 21 Sep 2004 08:06:10 GMT
Scott Eade <seade@backstagetech.com.au> writes:

[... about migrating database structure ...]

>Torque does not support this.

Correct. Torque is not very big on database meta-structures. However,
no O/R layer I've played with in the past (Torque, Hibernate, player)
is. All O/R layers shine when it comes to mapping objects onto
content.

But managing or migrating the actual database structure is almost
never part of the O/R scope.

>As I enhance my applications for a new release I manually craft a
>database migration script to make the necessary table changes.  I still
>use Torque to regenerate the om layer, but maintenance of the database
>structure is done manually.

Same here. I was thinking about using inheritance and mapping to
multiple tables using Hibernate but bugs crawled out and performance
slowed dramatically, so I prefer to migrate the table structure.

	Regards
		Henning

                                    Open Source Software Development"