db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Vitzethum, Daniel" <Daniel.Vitzet...@gigatronik.com>
Subject AW: save an object tree / bug concerning the MODIFIED-flag
Date Thu, 16 Sep 2004 07:53:41 GMT
Hi Howard,

> Hi,  Daniel, so basically setting "torque.addSaveMethod = true" solved
> your original 2 problems. That's good to know.

that's right. When I discard the DAO pattern, everything should
be fine... ;-)

As mentioned earlier, I would prefer dumb beans/TOs that can be
used for presentation purposes easily and DAO objects encapsulating
all of the persistance logic. As I see, this logic is shared between
TOs and Peers, what makes Torque a little bit harder to understand
(and use) for me - there's always two places where to look ;-|

> (What's the use case when getting an object from DB, doing
> nothing, and immediately calling a doUpdate?)

That is quite usual: load an object, present it to the user,
the user hits a save button, but hasn't changed anything - why
should I perform an update on DB?

> I think Torque is different from DAO pattern. Since it solves real
> problems nicely and easily, I don't see the need to change it to fit
> any pattern.

I agree. I wanted to know if Torque _can_ fit the DAO pattern.
As I see, Torque would be able to do that without many changes,
but the thing with the modified flag is still a bit strange to
me.

Is there any place where I can read about the design principles
of Torque - just to avoid these annoying "I want Torque to be
different for me"-questions? ;-)

Greetings,

Daniel