db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <Fisc...@seitenbau.net>
Subject Re: Releasing DB connections
Date Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:20:07 GMT

raphael.x.mankin@gsk.com schrieb am 27.08.2004 12:58:15:

> Up to now I have assumed that things work as you explained. However
opening
> new connections is typically a fairly slow business.

Ok, but because of this, you use a connection pool. A pool keeps the
connections open even if you do not use them. If possible, it gives you an
old connection if there is a free one available instead of opening a new
one.

> When programming in C
> or Perl one gets used to using the same connection over and over again,
> processing transactions in a loop. This does not appear to be possible
with
> Java, which severely limits the rate at which one can process data.
>
> This limitation on transaction rate is not a problem at present, but it
may
> well become so later. For the moment I am just being curious about how
the
> connection pool is managed.

I am no expert in this, but it would seem to me that in ordinary cases, the
time to do the database stuff is large as compared to the time the pool
needs to organise the connections. If the pool is too slow, you can always
tune the pool.

Thomas