db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Paco Nathan <p...@symbiot.com>
Subject Re: my experience with torque
Date Mon, 23 Aug 2004 15:12:24 GMT
Hola Michael,

Interesting discussion, good points.

One thing to keep in mind about log4j is that it's more mature and yet
progressing faster than Sun's logging package in Java.  For example,
java.util.logging in JDK 1.4 hasn't reached anywhere close to the level
of support provided by log4j Adapters.  If an application has real
needs for notification/remediation/trouble-ticketing, that can become a
sore spot for system integration.  Many other projects use log4j, so if
you integrate use of Torque along with other systems, it pays to keep a
common ground for logging.  More about that at:
http://wiki.apache.org/logging-log4j/Log4jvsJDKLogging

To add to Scott's note about JDK support ... I'm working on an open
source project which has JDK 1.4 as a dependency, and we've found this
exact point to be one of our biggest hurdles for cross-platform
adoption.  For example, FreeBSD is just barely offering a stable
alternative for a 1.4 compiler.

Paco