db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Paco Nathan <p...@symbiot.com>
Subject Re: Problems connecting to MySql database.
Date Tue, 24 Aug 2004 15:38:50 GMT
May not be always the case, but here's what we've found with people
using OpenSIMS, which is using Torque.

Default install for MySQL via some Linux package managers (I'm thinking
of Debian in particular but not Fedora or Gentoo) will setup your MySQL
server to use "Unix socket" style connections.

The "torque/database/mysql" template lists connection URLs based on on
having a TCP listener for MySQL.

When we mix both MySQL and Torque "straight out of the box" on some
distros, we see that kind of error.  Maybe we're not handling that
correctly on the Torque config side?

It's possible that the mysql prompt ("console") or "phpmyadmin" is
configured to use Unix socket connections, in which case those work
fine, but JDBC won't be able to connect.  We've seen that.

When one does enable the TCP listener for MySQL, another customer
support issue concerns the problem where MySQL re-maps user names using
the domain name, e.g.

	torque.defaults.connection.user = "foo"

... however, when attempting a JDBC connection, an improperly
configured MySQL server may map that to:

	torque.defaults.connection.user = "foo@localhost"

... in which case the Torque access will fail.

At that point, MySQL config can be fixed, or the connection URL can be
changed to something like:

	jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/myapp?user=foo&password=bar

Not sure how SuSE stacks up against Fedora, RedHat, Gentoo, or Debian,
in regard to its default install of MySQL, if that's actually the issue
you're seeing.

paco.