db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <...@intermeta.de>
Subject Re: Where does Torque fit in?
Date Mon, 12 Jul 2004 20:05:10 GMT
Ryan Gantt <gantt@cs.montana.edu> writes:

Hi,

if you have to maintain an older application: If it was written with
the 2.1 version of Turbine, Torque was a part of Turbine then. It has
been decoupled in the 2.2 cycle and for the current release (2.3),
Turbine uses Torque in a few places (Security Service and Scheduler
Service) as OM layer for accessing database information.

Apart from this, Turbine offers you a facility to initialize Torque
when you start up a Turbine application (with the AvalonComponentService).

Your application can use Torque as an OM layer. Turbine itself uses
Torque only for the services mentioned above (and unfortunately in a
few method signatures due to historic reasons).

	Regards
		Henning

>Hello,

>I have been actively researching several Apache Jakarta projects in the
>last weeks, in an effort to gain a knowledge base big enough to call
>upon in order to maintain a web application that has already been
>written with the Jakarta tools (namely, Turbine, Velocity, and Torque).

>There are a few things I am having a large amount of trouble with. One:
>Where does Torque fit in? When does Turbine actually make the calls to
>Torque, or is that something that the user has to do manually in his
>action class? When is the db connection made, and how long does it last?

>I've been trying to find some documentation that will answer these
>questions, but as of yet I have been unsuccessful.

>If you have any of these answers, or can point me to some documentation
>that does, I would be grateful.

>Thanks
>--
>Ryan Gantt