db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Cameron Hickey" <...@panoramatos.com>
Subject RE: IdGenerator is null
Date Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:17:25 GMT
Torque does not need the schema file to function, only for the
generation tasks.

In the build-torque.xml file from pre-3.1 builds, there are some tasks
which I used originally which I believe solved the problem you are
having...

Id-table-init-sql (which I think does the same thing as creating the ID
table someone else suggested you create)

I have used torque to generate a DB and OM files after writing out the
schema files, and I have alternatively used an existing DB to generate
the schema via the JDBC task.

Using this second method that you are using, I have found considerable
difficulty getting things to work properly.  I had to make numerous
adjustments to the schema file to get it to generate OM classes which
actually worked with the database.  After all the problems, I decided
this was not an ideal method of working and dropped it. Although I am
sure this is not an available course of action, perhaps you can test a
workaround... and then see where the problems might lie:

Try taking your autogenerated schema file, and using it to generate a
new set of SQL statements to build a new database.  If this SQL works
without errors to create a new db and tables, then try to use your
generated OM classes on that DB.  If that works, you can deduce that
something is not working properly in the JDBC translation from your
original database to the schema file.  I know this sounds tedious, but
it may at least start you on the path to finding a solution, since the
errors returned by all aspect of torque tend to be completely opaque or
worse entirely misleading.

Cameron

Object