db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Dovlecel Alexandru Ovidiu <alexandru.dovle...@siemens.com>
Subject RE: hashCode/equals contract broken in BaseObject
Date Tue, 04 May 2004 14:28:09 GMT
I think the approach that you provide will not work, because the XOR
operation will produce overlapping hashkeys. For example the following two
couples will provide the same key, even though they are different objects:

(class.hashCode in binary, pk.hashCode in binary) --> object.hashCode

(1110, 0001)  --> 1111
(1010, 0101)  --> 1111

So an object of type identified by 1110 (14) that has the pk.hashCOde equal
to 1
WILL BE EQUAL
with an object of type identified by 1010 (10) that has the pk.hashcode
equal to 5

If I am wrong (I am not too good with the binary operations and the binary
format) pls correct me...

Enjoy,
Alex

-----Original Message-----
From: Shevek [mailto:shevek@anarres.org]
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 4:22 PM
To: Apache Torque Users List
Subject: RE: hashCode/equals contract broken in BaseObject

On Tue, 4 May 2004, Dovlecel Alexandru Ovidiu wrote:

> You can use torque objects as hash keys with one condition:
>
> all the keys in the hashtable must be instances of the same torque class.
> Then you will not have any inconsistency.

I know this. However, this is in violation of the equals() contract and
causes much breakage. equals() should return true if and only if the
objects are equal. I have a requirement to mix class types. I have
suggested a fix for this: use

	getClass().hashCode() ^ key.hashCode()

instead of

	key.hashCode()

Then the whole world will work as intended again.

S.

--
Shevek                                    http://www.anarres.org/
I am the Borg.                         http://www.gothnicity.org/