db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Bill Barrington <stratopa...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Confused Newbie
Date Tue, 04 May 2004 13:58:59 GMT
Thanks very much for your response.  That helps.  I'll follow the steps you have outlined and
let you know what happens.

Saravana Kannan <skkann0@engr.uky.edu> wrote:Hi,

I don't see you are trying to compile the source for torque, just use the tar.gz
files. You need to download torque-3.1.tar.gz and torque-gen-3.1.tar.gz. Extract
them to two separate directories. Then move all files from torque-3.1 to
torque-gen-3.1 and DONT overwrite any files that are already there om
torque-gen-3.1. This should get you set up to use the examples provided at
various tutorials. torque-gen-3.1 is the part which generates the java code for
the tables you define in the schema.xml file, where as torque-3.1 is the part
needed to actually compile and execute the generated java files. You could
compare torque-3.1 to some kind of runtime libraries.

Read the tutorials from these pages -
http://db.apache.org/torque-31/user-guide.html
http://db.apache.org/torque-31/tutorial/step1.html

By the time you reach step 4 of the tutorial pages u should be able to
understand what is going on.

~Sarav
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world,
those who know binary and those who don't.

Quoting Bill Barrington :

> Hello,
>
> I'm attempting to evaluate Torque for one of our projects. I have
> downloaded torque-3.1 & torque-gen-3.1. I am trying to go the jar and maven
> plugin route.
>
> I'm a bit confused by the structure I see. I notice there is source code
> within the src directory of torque-3.1 as well as source within a generator
> sub-dir of same. Then there is the torque-gen-3.1 project which contains its
> own source tree.
>
> The build for torque-3.1 went ok (2 maven invocations - 1 for the src
> sub-dir and 1 for the src/generator sub-dir). I'm unable to build
> torque-gen-3.1. The first complaint is that it is unable to locate
> ../../project.xml. If I create a project.xml to satisfy it, then I get the
> compilation errors shown below.
>
> If someone can spare the time to lend a hand, I would be most grateful. I
> think my biggest problem is just a lack of understanding of how things should
> fit together, i.e., what is the difference between the torque-gen-3.1 code
> and the code in the generator sub-dir of torque-3.1? What maven targets do I
> build and in what order, etc...?
>
> Regards,
> Bill
>
> ------------------------ compilation errors from attempting to 'maven'
> torque-gen-3.1 ------------
>
> java:compile:
>
> [echo] Compiling to
> C:\eclipseDefaultWorkspace\TorqueTester\src\torque-gen-3
>
> .1/target/classes
>
> [javac] Compiling 32 source files to
> C:\eclipseDefaultWorkspace\TorqueTester
>
> \src\torque-gen-3.1\target\classes
>
> C:\eclipseDefaultWorkspace\TorqueTester\src\torque-gen-3.
1\src\java\org\apache\t