db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Saravana Kannan <skka...@engr.uky.edu>
Subject Creating records with value NULL for FKs
Date Mon, 03 May 2004 00:21:00 GMT
Hi,

Related in the sense, the assumption in your question is the reason for my
question. Looks like you got ticked off by my mail for some reason - if so,
sorry about that.

Can someone help me?

I will post me question again just in case -

I have a Torque Object called Answer which is related to AnswerGroup and
ExprNode. Answer can be either the child of AnswerGroup OR a child of ExprNode
(ie Answer has two FKs - one referencing AnswerGroup and the other referencing
ExprNode).

So I do something like-

AnswerGroup ansgrp = new AnswerGroup();
AnswerGroup ans = new Answer();
..
(calling setter methods)
..
ansgrp.save();
ansgrp.addAnswer(ans);
ans.save();

And I get the Torque Exception which is the result of an Oracle constraint
error. The Oracle error was something of the sort-
"Foreign key 0 does not exist in ExprNode"

The question here is - Why is Torque/Village setting ANSWER.ExprNodeFK to "0"
when I never called ExprNode.addAnswer(ans) or ans.setExprNodeFK() ? I want the
ANSWER.ExprNodeFK to be null. I'm unable to create foreign keys which are null.
How does one create a FK which is null? As is the norm, my foreign keys are of
type INTEGER in the project-schema.xml.

Ofcourse I could create a dummy ExprNode by hand that has PK = 0 and not use it
anywhere. But I want to find the better or proper way to take care of this
problem. Using ExprNode with PK=0 will be my last resort.

If the problem I mention is the way Torque works, then I would like to suggest a
solution to this problem as a feature of newer releases of Torque. Thank you.

~Sarav

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world,
those who know binary and those who don't.