db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Benjamin Yu <Benjam...@InformativeResearch.com>
Subject RE: Which DB Pooling method is best?
Date Fri, 30 Apr 2004 16:17:04 GMT
The advantage that you identified for option 2 is the main reason why I
choose that route. In essence, yes, commons-dbcp is still being used but I
feel that keeping a separation between the deployment configuration and the
application assembler is enough of a reason to have that extra layer. Plus I
can use the tomcat administration webapp to reconfigure a deployed webapp
without having to edit properties files directly.

-Ben

-----Original Message-----
From: Saravana Kannan [mailto:skkann0@engr.uky.edu]
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2004 8:14 PM
To: Apache Torque Users List
Subject: Which DB Pooling method is best?

Hi,

  I need to use DB Connection Pooling with Toruqe which will be used in a
Webapp
deployed in Tomcat 4.x. Looking at the Torque.properties I can see that
there
are three (ignoring the legacy one) options -

1. commons-dbcp
2. jndi
3. ConnectionPoolDataSource

Which one of these is best in my case and why? I feel using option 1 instead
of
option 2 will help in having all the DB related config details in one file
and
will be easier to manage. Also since it appears that Tomcat in-turn uses
commons-dbcp, what is the advantage of option 2 (other than - I can change
the
jndi config in server.xml and make torque work with another database)?

~Sarav

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world,
those who know binary and those who don't.