db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Dave Newton <d...@solaraccess.com>
Subject Re: C++ tool like Torque?
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2004 14:25:11 GMT
On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 10:08, Bogdan Vatkov wrote:
> In fact I have extended the BaseObject vm to
> contain extra information of the access mode for each <column /> for a
> particular "Role".
> (each column has 2 vectors of Roles - the first are roles allowed to read ,
> the second are roles allowed to modify the column)
> and of course JSP-s and MVC are using this info at runtime to obtain a
> specific behaviour depending on the logged user (his roles)

That's sounds pretty neat. I'd mention that technically, at least in my
opinion (which really doesn't amount to much ;) the concept of "roles"
seems to be at a different level than the data transfer objects...

In other words, the "database interface" torque classes wouldn't want to
contain information about who is allowed to access what--that lies above
the db layer.

For many projects it probably doesn't matter, but in larger projects
those decisions aren't made by the database designer and, in fact,
_must_ remain decoupled from the database for various reasons, usually
silly, but reasons nonetheless.

Right now I'm looking at the Spring framework with its pseudo-AOP
features to deal with roles but I'm not sure what route we're going to
take yet. I _do_ know that having roles inside the tables won't work for
several reasons.

> I think the "Authorization issue" is relevant to the business logic of a
> project thus so it is usefull to be stored with the database structure.

The database structure really isn't business logic, though, at least in
the type of projects I'm working on now *grumble*

You would not BELIEVE the levels of decoupling I have to deal with right
and the amount of aggravation one must tolerate to make the smallest
change. I guess when you're dealing with 50,000+ employees, 600 offices,
5000 developers, etc. things are a little different than I'm used to :/

Dave