db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Alexandru Dovlecel" <alexandru.dovle...@siemens.com>
Subject RE: Status of download and confusion with tutorial
Date Mon, 19 Apr 2004 15:33:30 GMT
Hi L.G.,

As I have seen until now, there are two other ORMapping tools (free). If
anybody knows of some others, pls tell:
1) OJB. I think they are pretty young but they seem to support JDO. Which is
a good thing. Bad thing they still need the reference JDO implementation
from SUN. The drawback is that is young (I think 1.0 or so) and is not
complete (not a fully OQL implementation). That's what I have seen on their
site.

2) Hibernate. Well, I would go for this one. Is pretty old, has quite a good
documentation (I think much more docs than torque) and there are lots of
people that work with it. BTW, am I wrong to say that is mostly build by the
guys that build the JBoss??? Is more powerfull than torque (I have read the
docs only) and has lots of features. I also think the code is cleaner. But I
think it takes some time to learn how to properly use it, and also you might
need some extra knowledge of XDoclet and other stuff. And it might be a
little bit more complicated to configure it so that it would run properly
(but it's powerfull). ;)

BTW, I like the Hibernate way: no Hibernate static class. (like Torque). So
you can easily have several Hibernate Session (I think this is the object)
and configure them properly, without sticking all the data in one config
file.

But torque is a nice tool, too. :)))

HIH,
Alex