db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Dave Newton <d...@solaraccess.com>
Subject RE: autoincrement of non primary key
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2004 05:49:42 GMT
On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 23:55, Jeff Cox wrote:
> Unless I am missing something, <unique> only makes the individual field
> unique. What I need is the combination to be unique. In other words...
>
> If
> SESSION_ID = 10
> SECTION_ID = 15
> ACTIVITY_ID = 25
>
> then 10, 15, and 25 can't be again used together.. but
>
> SESSION_ID = 10
> SECTION_ID = 15
> ACTIVITY_ID = 30
>
> Would work because even though SESSION_ID and SECTION_ID have been 10
> and 15 before, they have not been in combination with 30.

Oh, I see what you mean now. Still don't understand why, though ;)

In any case, you'd need to write your own logic to handle this case, as
it isn't really that common.

It seems like perhaps you might want to break up the tables a bit, maybe
rethink the mapping a bit. IOW, it looks like you have a think called a
session, a section, and an activity. Rather than mapping them all in one
table, have an activity table that has an activity_id (unique, primary
key) and session and section ids that point into the session and section
tables.

Without knowing what you're actually trying to accomplish it's tough ;)

Dave