db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Rob Gordon <rgor...@mwt.net>
Subject Re: Torque Objects for multiple databases
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2004 22:01:33 GMT

> > move all db specific stuff from the generated classes to the base
> > classes (so you don't have to regenerate the modell for different dbs)
>
> So this pretty much provides a "No" answer to your question.
>
> I believe Rob's work involves support for multiple databases using the
> same schema _and_ underlying RDBMS so I think you are talking about two
> different things.

This is a correct description of my work. I read "same database" as "same
schema." But, yes, my work assumes on same RDBMS.

For sure, you can't use same OM for different RDBMSs. The sql generation
relies on different templates in the torque-gen release. You would only be
able to pull this off if the generated sql for RDBMS from Vendor A just
happens to match generated sql for RDBMS from Vendor B.  It is not
generally the case that it would work.

Rob