db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "b0g" <...@bitex.bg>
Subject RE: Criticism on Torque
Date Thu, 26 Feb 2004 22:23:39 GMT
Hi All,I am using Torque for 2 months and I could say it is one great
combinationofpowerfull "words";
namely:Velocity,Log4j,Ant,Maven,JDBC,XML,SQL,Java,and many many moreAnd
some say it is not worth! hm..&gt;Boheme says:&gt;Even if 1 &amp; 2 is
right, i think a good toolI personally think that 1 &amp; 2 is
right...&gt;should be usable by a guy like me.That is not mandatory! ;). In
bulgarian culture there is a sentence: "If youare afraid of bears than do
not go to the forest"&gt;Especially for Torque cause it comes in version
3.1&gt;and not 0.9. Another reason is: we are living in the&gt;3rd
millennium...Yes.. Torque is a consequence of that we are living in the 3rd
millenium :)The last year I have been working on a tool like torque but
could neverreach the volume and scalabilty of torque.I have lost some time
for learning all this..(torque-model logic andvelocity template engine
itself)I have extended the generation process by adding some JSP and
supportingJavaBeans for Edit/Create/Browse) objects and thus creation of a
large sizedproject.I am closer to the end of the project now and I would
say: Torque is astable fast-development tool.It is not just a tool. It's a
great idea.It encourages to think of a code generation
(java/jsp/txt/xml/sql ..actuallyeverithing - it is based on velocity)
process based on XML definition file.Torque, for now (i hope:), supports
XML to DB oriented code (Java/SQL)generation.I am extending the generation
process still based on that XML (describingthe DB structure) in some hack
alike manner by adding extra definitions upontable columns using the
"description" xml attribute (exampledescription="description of the
column;[roles can read it];[roles can changeit]")(example
description="Priviledges of
theuser";org.gt.SystemDescriptor.ROLE_ALL;org.gt.SystemDescriptor.ROLE_ADMIN
ISTRATOR")and with a little java reflection you could define extra run-time
propertiesfor the table columns in the DB modelThis way we could give a
large portion of the definitive functionality ofthe project to the
non-programming divisions (by making it declarativefunctionality)When I
complete my torque-generator extensions I will share it. I hope itwill be
soon.I also hope that I will become strong enough to contribute tothis
project.To Torque creators/designers: Guys keep doing what you are doing.
Up tillnow you have done an excelent job ! Cheers !With Best Regards,Bogdan
Vatkov, GlobalTech

Намалете разходите за телефонни разговори в страната
и чужбина -
www.bitextel.com