db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Bogdan Vatkov" <bvat...@globaltech-bg.com>
Subject torque, torque-gui(devaki) creators
Date Thu, 19 Feb 2004 17:23:37 GMT
Hi All,

First of all, just to mention:
I think devaki is pretty good, I use it since 12. Dec 2003 and
except the annoyng single buffer drawings (i see flickering) and some little bugs it does
all the things that it is supposed to do.

I have some suggestions about some improvements: (some fore-thoughts first)

I have extended the torque-generator process to cover all my tables with a corresponding
JSPs and JavaBeans used in the JSPs that represent view (html tables) pages for browsing a

db table and edit a single record also.
and things like autogeneration of javascript menu for accessing the different pages
(torque-gen extensions are some velocity templates and a little control.vm modifications to
have my templates processed)
I have added "weblication" target  in the build-torque.xml to do execute all these templates.

the final result is someting like phpMyAdmin or phpPgAdmin interfaces but much better: it
brings more user oriented representation of data
for example on a row click in my (html)tables i have direct link (action) for the current
row to list all its child rows from another table (relations)
or to create a new child and associate it to the just clicked row ...

i discontinue this description but the main point here is that
based on torque (of course with some velocity templates packages) we could generate a lot
and lot of usefull
auto-generated java code (or even any text..any output languages ..you know it depends on
the template itself)
which is based on a particular db-model (shema)

Questions to torque (gen) creators and devaki creator (Emmanuel):

How do you think? Is going to be a good direction to:
1) specify a standard way for including additional functionality (productionality)
in the torque-generator (at least some manual for extending the templates)

3) extend (or make extendable) the org.apache.torque.model to support the xml parsing and
objectizing of user defined objects/attributes
for example in my case i might define inside the xml model some attributes for my columns
like (include the column in the html table or not; for now i think i can realize this only
by using the column's description attribute to define extra functionality)

2) extend devaki to be able to include custom defined attributes inside the column/table tags

With best regards,