db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Sperlich, Tino" <t.sperl...@hpc-hamburg.de>
Subject AW: Problem with CLOB retreival
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2004 10:56:58 GMT
Hi Bill,

sorry to also bother you for the attachment;
would you mind sending me the adjusted village.jar as well?

Thank you,

Tino Sperlich

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Bill Leng [mailto:wleng@metatomix.com]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 17. Dezember 2003 17:00
An: Apache Torque Users List
Betreff: Re: Problem with CLOB retreival

Hope this email helps.

The root cause is Oracle's jdbc driver does not conform jdbc specc. In fact, most jdbc drivers
do not conform jdbc spec when dealing with clob or blob but oracle is nortoriously bas in
this regard. Per spec, you should be able to PreparedStatement.setClob or setBlob. However,
this is not the way oracle driver works. You must call setBlob to set an empty Blob. The select
that blob and update its content. This means that you need to operations instead one. village
is written per jdbc spec and of cource it does not work. To make it work, two solutions.

1. use a third party jdbc driver, such as DataDirect's jdbc driver (it is expensive though)..
Or
2. make changes to village to introduce oracle specific stuff which was what I did. Try the
attached village.jar. It should work with oracle blob. I did not try to fix clob because for
English they are equivalent. You should unpack the jar and modify the oracle.properties file.

Shin Ohkubo wrote:

Hi,

See also:

http://share.whichever.com/

where you can find all kinds of valuable Village related info including

the entire source.

by the way, I heard that the oracle jdbc driver limits the size of LOB

data to 4000B, which I'm still not sure whether this info is correct. Is

this information correct?

I want to insert large text data into the database, like up to 1MB.

is there a way(besides using datadirect's driver)  to do this with

oracle?

I'm quite new to Oracle and am struggling to find a way...

Regards,

Shin O.