db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Edwin Yearwood <Edwin.Yearw...@reuters.com>
Subject RE: torque-3.1.zip archives
Date Tue, 16 Dec 2003 15:47:23 GMT
Thanks Bogdan, we will use your guidelines to complete the installation
and build.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Edwin Yearwood
Developer
BTG
Reuters

Telephone		+44 (0)208 542 5818
Email			edwin.yearwood@reuters.com
Reuters Messaging 	edwin.yearwood.reuters.com@reuters.net

-----Original Message-----
From: Bogdan Vatkov [mailto:bvatkov@globaltech-bg.com]
Sent: 16 December 2003 13:54
To: Apache Torque Users List
Subject: Re: torque-3.1.zip archives

Yep , documentation is not clear enough in all cases ..but
yes you will have to dowlonad torque-gen-3.1.zip in order to obtain the
torque peer classes generator.

You will define your database schema and generate corresponding java
classes and sql statements inside torque-gen distribution define your
schema here:
        /torque-gen-3.1/schema/your-project-schema.xml
define your generation properties here:
        /torque-gen-3.1/build.properties
after running
        ant build-torque.xml
inside the folder
        /torque-gen-3.1/
you will have the generated files here:
        /torque-gen-3.1/src/java
        /torque-gen-3.1/src/sql

(create java project..eclipse/jbuilder/jdeveloper/or by hand:)) get java
files from /torque-gen-3.1/src/java also here you will have to aquire
the jars from torque-3.1 (here it is)

to configure
torque.properties - your database props here... log4j.properties - log4j
props...

both files are provided with the torque-3.1 distribution
and somewhere in the code of your project you will have to invoke  (once
- per application)

Torque.init("the full path to the file torque.properties");

hope this helps ...

torque as an engine realizes the object2relational mapping by creating
(offline/design time) wrapper & peer classes for each table in your
database schema...that is why you first have to generate those classes
via torque-gen..

and these classes use torque engine (which is in torque-3.1.zip) that is
why you have to include torque engine jars to the project afterwards

torque-gen-3.1.zip (torque generator) is used before compile (design
time) torque-3.1.zip (torque engine) is used while compiling (and of
course at runtime :)

if there are other questions give them ..

with best regards,
bogdan