db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Marc Dugger" <m...@socotech.com>
Subject how best to "flatten" database
Date Fri, 12 Dec 2003 23:22:44 GMT
My database has 62 tables in it and the user wants to be able to dynamically
select (via web app) individual data elements across tables for export to a
spreadsheet.  The record count could be anywhere from 100 to upper 1000's.
Since I'm using Torque for persistence, I started using the OM to traverse
the data, but started fretting about the potential number of database hits.
I've also considered straight SQL to do a broad select (JOIN everything),
but am not comfortable with dynamically constructing such a mammoth
statement.  Unfortunately, a database tool is not an option...it must be
from within the context of the application.  Any gurus out there with
advice/links to articles?  Thanks in advance.