db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Pedro Salgado <salgado...@04web.com>
Subject Re: OJB and Torque
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:17:53 GMT
  I only read the Torque tutorials but, since no one else answered... Hope
it helps.

  I can tell you that I use Torque as a database and data structure
generator (SQL) and for building the OJB model and repository (I skip making
a very complex model with objects with many collections - I rather have
control over what is retrieved). Torque, for me, is an invaluable tool for
updating my model/database and for populating the database (I just execute
an ant command and it generates the SQL create db command, SQL database
structure, SQL database data and inserts them all on my DBMS - the same for
OJB generation: ant command -> generates model classes and repository).
  Also Torque has helped me to develop on some kind of database and by
changing one build property, I automatically have the same model on another
database (test on MySQL, deploy on MSSQL, for example).

  I use OJB as my persistence manager and for what I understood, you could
use Torque as well, for the same purpose.
  For what I read, OJB has many interesting characteristics like OQL and is
planning a future JDO implementation. Torque doesn't.
  They have similar syntaxes (of course). For what it seemed, OJB has more
features (like ReportQuery).

  I made a persistence abstraction with JDO like method for making an object
persistent or not... This way I can use OJB/Torque or any other tool for
persistence. Also with JDO like methods it will be easier to change to
"true" JDO persistence layer if I need in the future. I donĀ¹t know if JDO is
the best but I think it will sure be a standard.

Pedro Salgado