db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Bill Leng <wl...@metatomix.com>
Subject Re: Problem with CLOB retreival
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2003 15:59:31 GMT
Hope this email helps.

The root cause is Oracle's jdbc driver does not conform jdbc specc. In
fact, most jdbc drivers do not conform jdbc spec when dealing with clob
or blob but oracle is nortoriously bas in this regard. Per spec, you
should be able to PreparedStatement.setClob or setBlob. However, this is
not the way oracle driver works. You must call setBlob to set an empty
Blob. The select that blob and update its content. This means that you
need to operations instead one. village is written per jdbc spec and of
cource it does not work. To make it work, two solutions.

1. use a third party jdbc driver, such as DataDirect's jdbc driver (it
is expensive though)..
Or
2. make changes to village to introduce oracle specific stuff which was
what I did. Try the attached village.jar. It should work with oracle
blob. I did not try to fix clob because for English they are equivalent.
You should unpack the jar and modify the oracle.properties file.