db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Setting a field to NULL - how?
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2003 22:15:34 GMT
Scott Eade wrote:

>> I have a table "note" with a row containing a Date. I would like to
>> set the date to null, where previously it had a non null value.
>>
>> I tried to do this:
>>
>> note.setEffectiveDate(null);
>> note.save();
>>
>> but the above code has no effect - the date remains set in the
>> database to it's previous value.
>>
>> Can anyone explain to me what I am doing wrong?
>

> My guess is that you are using MySQL.  If I recall correctly MySQL
> initialises Date fields for you in an attempt to be helpful.  I don't
> think it does this for all of the date formats - you will need to check
> the MySQL documentation.

Just to clarify - the row in "note" exists already, what I am trying to
do is update the row.

The code is like this:

Note note = NoteManager.getInstance(x);
note.setEffectiveDate(null);
note.save();

Unfortunately my torque.log has stopped working for some reason, so I
cannot get access to the sql statement it is passing to postgresql.

What I need to know in the meantime is whether this sort of thing is
possible - does torque support null objects in columns?

Regards,
Graham