db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Josh Holtzman <j...@joshholtzman.com>
Subject Another question on foreign key getters and performance
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2003 18:51:26 GMT
I recently asked a question about the performance of calling torque
objects' foreign key getters, and I just read another question from a
lead developer trying to shield his team from using these getters (a
smart move, since these just kill performance).  My question is this:

If you don't use these getters, what's the alternative?  I have a torque
object, and I need to get the collections belonging to this object.  I
need to do this many times per page (it's a webapp).  I specify all of
the joins [ with criteria.addJoin() ] when I get the list of the
top-level objects -- shouldn't that be enough to keep torque from
hammering on the database?

<Throws down the gauntlet/>

Can anyone provide a code example that gets collections of torque
objects through only one database call?

Thanks!
Josh