db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Keeney, Thomas" <Keen...@SEC.GOV>
Subject RE: Using save() and audit trails
Date Wed, 15 Oct 2003 18:05:27 GMT
Dave,

You could override the appropriate Peer/OM class methods that
insert/save/delete your object and add the audit table insert there.  Before
you commit the object changes, retrieve the object values for the audit
table with a *NEW* connection.  If your isolation level is set to
READ_COMMITTED, the *NEW* connection should return the object values prior
to the transaction commit.  Check if the Torque object isModified() before
inserting into the audit table.  Determining the object properties that have
changed is a tricky problem.  You could write code to compare the original
value and the current value for each property.  The introspection utilities
in Jakarta Commons BeanUtils may help here.  Any customization of the Torque
generated classes should be added to the OM/Peer classes, not the
BaseOM/BasePeer classes, to minimize problems when upgrading Torque.

You can also clone the original object values immediately after retrieval
from the database, instead of using a *NEW* connection to retrieve the
object values before the commit.  Use the Torque object copy() method to
create the clone.  Beware though that the cloning will retrieve all
dependent foreign-key objects.  Of course, you could override the copyInto()
method to prevent retrieving the foreign-key objects.

Let me know if these recommendations help.

Best Regards,
Tom Keeney
Dunbar Consulting Inc.
http://www.dunbar-consulting.com