db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>
Subject Re: Using save() and audit trails
Date Wed, 15 Oct 2003 01:49:22 GMT
Dave Hahn wrote:

>Sorry if this has been brought up before.  I like the clean interface
>for Torque, but have an audit trail requirement I'd like to know if
>there is a solution for using Torque.  This is a legacy system I'd like
>to interface to.
>
>Upon any insert, save, or delete of an object, I need to also log
>column values to a normalized audit trail table.
>
>In SQL terms, consider this update:
>
>  update A set a1=v1, a2=v2 where rec_id=1
>
>causes
>
>  insert into audit values ('A', 1, 'a1', old_a1, v1)
>  insert into audit values ('A', 1, 'a2', old_a2, v2)
>
>as part of the save transaction.
>
>It seems I could accomplish this if there is some callback mechanism,
>and I can get at column values that have changes between the persisted
>version of the object and the currently being saved object.  Can this
>be accomplished?  Any hints on how?

Torque does not provide a specific solution to your problem.  You could
I guess modify the velocity templates used to generate your OM classes
to write the audit records, but it would probably be a fair chunk of
work and you would need to re-do it each time you upgrade Torque
versions.  Perhaps a simpler approach would be to modify the torque
templates to provide the desired callbaback only - at least this would
minimise the maintenance necessary when upgrading versions.

HTH,

Scott

--
Scott Eade