db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Eitan Katznelson" <eit...@quimbik.com>
Subject RE: running out of connections w/ postgresql
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2003 21:50:23 GMT
I had the same problem and switched to the new DataSourceFactory
org.apache.torque.dsfactory.Jdbc2PoolDataSourceFactory. When researching the
issue on the web, I couldn't find out exactly what was causing it but
several people have run into this problem.

Hope this helps,
Eitan

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Della Bitta [mailto:mdellabitta1@earthlink.net]
Sent: Saturday, October 18, 2003 3:55 PM
To: Apache Torque Users List

Hello,

I currently have a site in production using Torque and connecting to
PostgreSQL. During my load testing, it held up solidly. But now that I
have it in production, it keeps on running out of connections. If I
restart Tomcat, things proceed normally. It seems like Torque isn't
checking connections back in when it expires them or something.

Here are the properties from my Torque.properties file (identifying
info altered to protect the innocent):

torque.applicationRoot = .

log4j.category.org.apache.torque = WARN, org.apache.torque
log4j.appender.org.apache.torque = org.apache.log4j.FileAppender
log4j.appender.org.apache.torque.file = /Library/Tomcat/logs/torque.log
log4j.appender.org.apache.torque.layout = org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.org.apache.torque.layout.conversionPattern = %d [%t]
%-5p %c - %m%n
log4j.appender.org.apache.torque.append = true

## Using torque's old pool
torque.database.default = dbname
torque.database.dbname.adapter=postgresql

torque.dsfactory.dbname.factory=org.apache.torque.dsfactory.TorqueDataSo
urceFactory
torque.dsfactory.dbname.pool.defaultMaxConnections=25
torque.dsfactory.dbname.pool.maxExpiryTime=3600
torque.dsfactory.dbname.pool.connectionWaitTimeout=10
torque.dsfactory.dbname.connection.driver = org.postgresql.Driver
torque.dsfactory.dbname.connection.url =
jdbc:postgresql://127.0.0.1:5432/dbname
torque.dsfactory.dbname.connection.user = dbuser
torque.dsfactory.dbname.connection.password = dbpassword
-----------------------------

and i'm initializing Torque using a servlet that's loaded on startup
like this:

-------------------------------
import java.io.*;
import javax.servlet.*;
import javax.servlet.http.*;
import org.apache.torque.*;

public class InitServlet extends HttpServlet {
         try {

Torque.init("/Library/Tomcat/webapps/appname/torque-3.0.2/
Torque.properties");

         } catch (TorqueException te) {
             throw new ServletException("ERROR - Unable to init Torque:
" + te);
         }
     }
}