db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Matt Hughes <mhu...@uvic.ca>
Subject Re: external DB connection pool access
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2003 21:15:47 GMT
On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Gary Baker wrote:

> I want to setup Torque to use an external DB connection pool.
> Basically, we have a group of applications running under one instance of
> Tomcat and all the other applications (besides my new Turbine app.) use
> the same connection pool.

You may wish to examine JNDI (Java Network Directory Interface). JNDI
provides a way of configuring a data source and giving it a name, which
can be access by Torque.

JNDI background: http://java.sun.com/products/jndi/

For information about setting up Tomcat to create a JNDI database
connection, see:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jndi-resources-howto.html

To use a JNDI pool with Torque, see:
http://db.apache.org/torque/configuration-howto.html

Depending on how the pool the other applications use works, some changes
may be needed to use JNDI, or it may be completly impractical.

Note that I have not used JNDI, so I can't really say how well this would
work.

If I've misunderstood and you want to add another type of pool to Toruqe,
then you should probably look at how
org.apache.torque.dsfactory.SharedPoolDataSourceFactory and friends are
implemented, and cook up some new pool code based on that. Then you should
be able to just put your new pool class name in your property file for the
torque.dsfactory.XXX.factory property.

mch
mhughe@uvic.ca