db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Michel Beijlevelt / Lucka <...@lucka.nl>
Subject Re: different internal variable names
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2003 12:42:21 GMT
Howdy,

the opinion about  tight or loose coupling is also influenced by the
frequency of changes in the RDBMS schema.

If my application is - through Torque - tightly coupled with the RDBMS,
it will almost certainly fail with an exception upon a moderately
significant change in the RDBMS. Which is good, because it will
precisely pinpoint the change, and makes 'sure' (well, fairly sure that
is :-) that my appliction only runs against the RDBMS that is was
designed for and none other.

But I agree, having the possibility of  making Torque more loosely
coupled from the RDBMS would be a nice feature. It could be implemented
by allowing specifying aliases for db objects in the XML schema
definition which does seem to be fairly simple to implement, but maybe a
more sophisticated abstraction layer isn't that hard to make either.

gr. Michel