db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Keeney, Thomas" <Keen...@SEC.GOV>
Subject RE: Hibernate vs. Torque
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:50:35 GMT
Thanks everyone for the responses.

Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: Cameron Hickey [mailto:cam@panoramatos.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 1:32 PM
To: 'Apache Torque Users List'
Subject: RE: Hibernate vs. Torque

Tom,

I have been trying to put together a simple data entry interface using
Tomcat and Struts, and some data persistance technology.  I spent about
3 weeks working with Hibernate, and recently decided to switch and try
Torque.  Since I have considerable experience developing databases, and
much less is java programming, Torque's methodology felt more
comfortable and database oriented than Hibernate.  Getting it up and
running with my application also seemed to be much simpler.  I did not
use the automatic Class generation tools that Hibernate provides, but
they are less well documented than what I saw online for torque.

I think that you should certainly give Hibernate a try, because I could
easily tell that in terms of robust object persistence, Hibernate
definitely has a leg up over Torque due to things like
"lazy-initialization" which allows you to intelligently only query the
DB for the row(s) you are actually using, instead of more, which can be
useful if you have really large tables.

The overall documentation of Hibernate is considerable, compared to the
palty dozen pages that torque has, but since I managed to get torque
working anyway, perhaps that is a testimate to its simplicity.

Cameron