db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Mark Lowe <mark.l...@talk21.com>
Subject Re: question on Torque's limitation
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2003 09:58:38 GMT
Okay fred I'm all ears..

While its true that Torque doesn't appear to support outer joins, I
don't see this as a great problem. I have to confess that I start going
to sleep when I start hearing talk of such things.

If your application needs to support multiple languages (which I
believe is your actual problem) then my suggestion would be that this
is achievable without getting all DBA about it.

Your obviously a brighter spark than me and therefore I'll assume that
whatever suggestions that would be made will be dismissed. In fact
you're so much brighter that I can't even see what your problem is.

Again I'm probably wrong but it looks to be that your solutions are
more complex than the problem in hand. The reading I've done suggests
that torque is best used in a way that tables define your objects (I
think somebody suggested that on this thread), I concede that this
could be a problem if you're inheriting a DB that can't be changed.
However if your talk of outer joins and ad hoc queries is for a project
without these legacy issues then I'd maintain that you real problem is
"How to make a multilingual application using torque?" and not "How can
I shoe-horn my DBA knowledge into torque?"

I'm off to bank, and to sell everything I own so I can give all of it
to Microsoft. The .NET stuff does look quite tidy, especially
considering what a dogs-dinner they made of such things in the past.
Personally I have no real issue with .NET I just prefer innovation over
plagiarism. I don't see anything very new with .NET..

Last time I hooked used oracle ODBC drivers with oracle I had to run
all my longs through a loop and remove zeros, special (concession: This
was pre .NET).. I fail to remember exactly how much this had a negative
effect on "developer productivity" and certainly didn't seem very
"value-added" to be.. I'm glad that they must have sorted this out.

Cheers mark