db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Gerard Airey <gerard.ai...@informer.co.uk>
Subject RE: DB independence with CLOB/BLOB/Binary
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2003 14:06:01 GMT

I kept things simple by selecting my lowest common character field size (255
char - MS Access) and used a number of these short char fields (f1, f2 ...
fn). Create get and set methods in the base subclass that represents the
long string. It can concatenate or split the string across the fields as
appropriate.

Gerard.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ashley Hayes [mailto:ashley.hayes@macalla.com]
Sent: 30 July 2003 12:37
To: Torque-User (E-mail)
Subject: DB independence with CLOB/BLOB/Binary

I need to store some character data of variable size (max a few KB) in a DB
column. The awkward bit is I need it to be as independent as possible from
the DB vendor( in that torque will generate the same OM and types regardless
of the DB vendor) and have reasonable performance.

I've read this mail from Bill Schneider
"http://www.mail-archive.com/turbine-torque-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg01497
.html" which gives a few pointers about these types and their storage
structure in the DBMS.

We are currently developing/testing with Oracle 8.1.7,mysql and mssql.
I'd be interested in hearing from people that have done something similar,
could you include the torque type used, the DB vender(+ version) and the
driver version.

much appreciated,
Ashley