db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Brian K. Wallace" <br...@transmorphix.com>
Subject RE: Criteria.addAscendingOrderByColumn() bug? (DB IS NULL)
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:39:16 GMT
I notice this got off the torque list, so I'm cc'ing you and putting it back on.

I've used torque in many projects for quite a while - starting with 'back before DAO'
and when everything I saw about managers marked them as basically "use if you
want, but beware".  So I started off with the extensions to BaseObject and the peers
and modified my own cache hit/miss managers to deal with them "until Torque's
managers were "more stable" and my time allowed me to delve into them". And as
most often the case, my time has been more served utilizing my own management
means so far. Part of the issue with a change is the GUI we developed to take a DIA
diagram and process it into our Torque schema, "non-data aware" beans, Swing
UI's, and managers.  So I AM using Torque for pretty much what anyone would use it
for, I'm just farther along on one side ('drawing my objects' and automatically
converting that into all my XML / code) and farther behind on the other (no DAO, no
'Torque' managers). Now if I can ever get time to combine the two... *sigh*.

That said - while I have found issues with the way Torque does things (and I've found
them in everything I use - either bugs which I report or differences in approach which
I either agree with and use or disagree with and use something else), all in all it's as
viable for what it does as anything out there. Is it 100%? No.  But I haven't found
anything except 'cd /; rm -rf *' as root that IS 100%.

My two cents.

Brian

<snip>