db-torque-user mailing list archives

From David Hainlin <dhain...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: question on Torque's limitation
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2003 02:28:29 GMT
Have to jump in on this one.  While I agree with everything said about
Torque's limitations and orientation, my experience with it couldn't
have been more different.  I recently had to integrate with Oracle 11i
HRMS stacks and Torque saved me much grief.  I never even looked at the
Veliocity based generators and I ended up with some fairly complex
business objects layered on my Torque classes.  Could have rolled my own
with JDBC but it was such as joy to simply let the simple (and trouble
free) Torque code handle it.  I did have to do some gyrations around
joins but a few materialized views fixed that right up.  Torque is
simple and not very rich.  It in no way stands up as a full featured OR
mapper but in some situations, it can be a life saver. Especially if you
are strongly table oriented, Torque is a pretty good and solid DAO
layer. YMMV.