db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Ashley Hayes <ashley.ha...@macalla.com>
Subject DB independence with CLOB/BLOB/Binary
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2003 11:36:48 GMT
I need to store some character data of variable size (max a few KB) in a DB
column. The awkward bit is I need it to be as independent as possible from
the DB vendor( in that torque will generate the same OM and types regardless
of the DB vendor) and have reasonable performance.

I've read this mail from Bill Schneider
"http://www.mail-archive.com/turbine-torque-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg01497
.html" which gives a few pointers about these types and their storage
structure in the DBMS.

We are currently developing/testing with Oracle 8.1.7,mysql and mssql.
I'd be interested in hearing from people that have done something similar,
could you include the torque type used, the DB vender(+ version) and the
driver version.

much appreciated,
Ashley