db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Vijay" <pra...@bigtec.org>
Subject **** AUDIT TRAILS ****
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2003 07:44:02 GMT
hi,

I have a query regarding audit trail implementation at the database level.

My application requires that all actions performed by a user have to be logged to ensure accountability
& tracability of every bit of information in the database.
In database lingo, i'd term these actions as INSERT, UPDATE or DELETE statements or DML statements.

The application uses only one database user across all operations (i.e. all actions performed
by any user). The application users are not database users in the strictes of terms. These
users exist in a table that my application uses for authentication &  to check permissions.
On successful validation, the application allows the user to connect to the database (internally,
it makes use of the credentials of the actual database user). My application keeps track of
the application user across all operations performed by the user. Please note that i am not
using the security services provided by Torque / Turbine / TDK.

Any records entered / modified by the application shall be recorded under that application
users ID who logged in.

Also, all information that existed prior to the modification i.e. no info shall be obscured
or compromised upon under any circumstance. I am doing this by transfering the pre-modified
info into temporary tables.

FINALLY, my query:

Will i be able to implement the above requirements using Log4J ???

If YES, would anyone please be able to help me out on this issue. If there exists some info
anywhere on the net,you could redirect me to the URL.

Also, would someone tell me the use of Log4J in real world applications. Where might i want
to use the logging service provided by Log4J & how benefitial would this info be to me
at the database level. Additionally, how granular is the info that Log4J can provide.

Cheers,

vijay Prabhu