db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Prashanth Adhikari" <sprashan...@hotmail.com>
Subject Tuning Connection Pooling Parameters
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2003 01:47:55 GMT
We are using Torque with Tomcat in one of our projects. We are having some
performance issues and I am wondering if I am running into a connection
pooling issue. I recently took a Thread dump of our application while
running a 100 user load test. I found several threads waiting to lock on
Jdbc2PoolDataSource.getConnection() (called by Torque.getConnection()). I
had set "defaultMaxActive" = 50. I changed it to defaultMaxActive = -1 and
saw a performance improvement. Is this an appropriate setting to use? I am
not sure if my connection pool is getting exhausted. How can I tell at any
time what the number of active connections and idle connections are in the
pool? I tried to tried to modify Torque.getConnection()  to log
Jdbc2PoolDataSource.getNumActive() and Jdbc2PoolDataSource.getNumIdle(). But
that did not seem to work, Torque.getConnection() would not even return. Any
tips on tuning connection pooling parameters or general performance tuning
with Torque will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Prashanth