db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Lach, Thierry" <Thierry.L...@bbdodetroit.com>
Subject RE: Oracle BLOB
Date Fri, 16 May 2003 21:05:01 GMT
Please realize that the BLOB implementation in MySQL as exposed by the
mm driver is not a java.sql.Types.BLOB.  It is exposed as a type -3
which is java.sql.Types.VARBINARY .  So using blobs in torque can be
problematic.

-----Original Message-----
From: Pavel Kusch [mailto:pavel@icecentric.com]
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2003 10:33 AM
To: Turbine Torque Users List
Subject: Re: Oracle BLOB

Russell,

Thank you for reply!

Where I am going is that I have application using BLOBs that works fine
with MySQL but for production it will have to be Oracle. It would be
great just to change build.properties in Turbine pertinent to database
(type, driver ..), get Oracle driver, set up all the things described in
the Oracle guide on Torque web and be ready to go. But it looks it is
not gonna be that easy. I have found in mailing list things like:

Has anyone successfully read and written BLOBs (> 2k bytes) from an
Oracle 9i database?

This is not a torque issue.  Its an issue with Oracle implementation of
the JDBC 2.0 BLOB APIS.  I have never been able to get the BLOBS to work
with anything other than Oracle's implementation of the JDBC interfaces
(OracleConnection, OracleResultSet, OraclePreparedStatement).

Direct support for LOBs in the Thin driver. The Thin driver now provides
direct support for BFILEs, BLOBs, and       CLOBs. Prior to this release
it
supported them via calls to PL/SQL routines.
http://otn.oracle.com/software/tech/java/sqlj_jdbc/htdocs/jdbc_readme920
1.ht
ml

With Oracle, you have to use Oracle specific code to do more than 4k
bytes of Clob or Blob.

So, I was thinking that the new driver would make the BLOB size
limitation problem go away. It would be only about getting the new
driver and not having special code for BLOB.

This is gonna be my first Oracle-driven app so I am sorry for
incompetence. Is there anything else to watch out for when migrating to
Oracle?

Thank you.

With regards,

Pavel Kusch