db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Russell Simpkins" <RussellSimpk...@funnygarbage.com>
Subject RE: Oracle BLOB
Date Fri, 16 May 2003 14:46:11 GMT
I'm no JDBC expert either.  So far, my experience is that when you do BLOB/CLOBs you end up
writing platform specific code.  I don't know if that is a problem for you, but you will be
able to write BLOB/CLOB for Oracle.  I also don't know if that issue is melting away.  The
last time I looked at MySQL JDBC drivers for example, it had limits too (just no where near
as bad as Oracle,) and did not seem to handle BLOBs/CLOBS that well too since it was streaming
into a byte[] array.  This issue was also present in PostgreSQL drivers in the past also,
they too opted to write PostgreSQL specific JDBC routines that enable you to support near
limitless sized BLOBs.  So, for my part, I abstracted the BLOB/CLOB methods when I created
an app that intended to support more then one DB.  BLOB/CLOB was the one BIG letdown for me.
 Those templates I sent you will create all the Oracle Specific code for you in your Torque
model, just in case the new drivers don't give you the fix you need.

-----Original Message-----
From: Pavel Kusch [mailto:pavel@icecentric.com]
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2003 10:33 AM
To: Turbine Torque Users List
Subject: Re: Oracle BLOB

Russell,

Thank you for reply!

Where I am going is that I have application using BLOBs that works fine with
MySQL but for production it will have to be Oracle. It would be great just
to change build.properties in Turbine pertinent to database (type, driver
..), get Oracle driver, set up all the things described in the Oracle guide
on Torque web and be ready to go. But it looks it is not gonna be that easy.
I have found in mailing list things like:

Has anyone successfully read and written BLOBs (> 2k bytes) from an Oracle
9i database?

This is not a torque issue.  Its an issue with Oracle implementation of the
JDBC 2.0 BLOB APIS.  I have
never been able to get the BLOBS to work with anything other than Oracle's
implementation of the JDBC interfaces
(OracleConnection, OracleResultSet, OraclePreparedStatement).

Direct support for LOBs in the Thin driver. The Thin driver now provides
direct support for BFILEs, BLOBs, and       CLOBs. Prior to this release it
supported them via calls to PL/SQL routines.
http://otn.oracle.com/software/tech/java/sqlj_jdbc/htdocs/jdbc_readme9201.ht
ml

With Oracle, you have to use Oracle specific code to do more than 4k bytes
of Clob or Blob.

So, I was thinking that the new driver would make the BLOB size limitation
problem go away. It would be only about getting the new driver and not
having special code for BLOB.

This is gonna be my first Oracle-driven app so I am sorry for incompetence.
Is there anything else to watch out for when migrating to Oracle?

Thank you.

With regards,

Pavel Kusch
iceCentric