db-torque-user mailing list archives

From "Pavel Kusch" <pa...@icecentric.com>
Subject Re: Oracle BLOB
Date Fri, 16 May 2003 16:53:32 GMT
Russell,

Thank you very much - you are real life saver!

With regards,

Pavel Kusch

----- Original Message -----
From: "Russell Simpkins" <RussellSimpkins@funnygarbage.com>
To: "Turbine Torque Users List" <torque-user@db.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2003 9:46 AM
Subject: RE: Oracle BLOB

> I'm no JDBC expert either.  So far, my experience is that when you do
BLOB/CLOBs you end up writing platform specific code.  I don't know if that
is a problem for you, but you will be able to write BLOB/CLOB for Oracle.  I
also don't know if that issue is melting away.  The last time I looked at
MySQL JDBC drivers for example, it had limits too (just no where near as bad
as Oracle,) and did not seem to handle BLOBs/CLOBS that well too since it
was streaming into a byte[] array.  This issue was also present in
PostgreSQL drivers in the past also, they too opted to write PostgreSQL
specific JDBC routines that enable you to support near limitless sized
BLOBs.  So, for my part, I abstracted the BLOB/CLOB methods when I created
an app that intended to support more then one DB.  BLOB/CLOB was the one BIG
letdown for me.  Those templates I sent you will create all the Oracle
Specific code for you in your Torque model, just in case the new drivers
don't give you the fix you need.

http://otn.oracle.com/software/tech/java/sqlj_jdbc/htdocs/jdbc_readme9201.ht
> ml
>
> With Oracle, you have to use Oracle specific code to do more than 4k bytes
> of Clob or Blob.

> So, I was thinking that the new driver would make the BLOB size limitation
> problem go away. It would be only about getting the new driver and not
> having special code for BLOB.
>
> This is gonna be my first Oracle-driven app so I am sorry for
incompetence.
> Is there anything else to watch out for when migrating to Oracle?
>
> Thank you.
>
> With regards,
>
> Pavel Kusch
> iceCentric