db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Geoff Fortytwo <...@ign.com>
Subject Re: Torque project references, stability, reliability
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2003 20:07:50 GMT
I agree on all these points. I'd like to add a few points of my own. I
recently started using JAXB for xml parsing and it uses a system similar to
torque. You specify a schema that describes the xml file and it generates
java files using ant which are used to represent that data. However, it
also allows for additional validation and I've always wished that torque
had a pluggable validation capability. Errors that come from the database
are not standard, so I can't write code that'll work with multiple
databases if I write code that checked the error code in the SQLException.
OTOH, if Torque had optional pluggable validation that validated each field
as the set method was called for it, then I could write code that caught
and dealt with those exceptions in a portable way. We use both Oracle and
SQL Server here, so I need to be able to write code that works for both.
This point has been answered before that validation should be at the db
level, but that's just not portable.