db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Frederic Gedin <frederic.ge...@Jaluna.COM>
Subject Re: Map objects to different databases
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2003 09:27:58 GMT
Hi Malte

Malte Stien wrote:

>Hi
>
>thank you for your answer. My problem is as follows: I am working on an
>application where the user can enter and retrieve information that is to be
>stored in a database that is specific to the particular project the user is
>working on. (I use the word database here in the sense of a set of tables
>rather than a RDBMS.) Each project n has a particular project database n the
>information for this particular project is stored in. In addition - while the
>user is working on a particular project - information is needed that is
>common to all projects. This information is to be stored in the project
>master database.
>
>Hence, during runtime I need access to one of the project databases and the
>project master database. Thus, some classes are to be mapped to tables in the
>project master database while others are to be mapped to a particular project
>database. The project databases are all subject to the same schema. This
>schema is different from the schema for the project master database. All
>databases are held on a Postgresql database server. The project databases are
>always kept on the same database server as the project master database.
>
>The user shall be able specify the project he/she wishes to work on and the
>system opens the corresponding project database and - fully independent of
>the project selected - the project master database. So somehow, I have to
>convince Torque not to use the Torque.properties file but to be able to
>specify the database during runtime.
>
>I hope, that explains my problem a bit better. Any help is highly appreciated.
>Thank you. Malte.

I am still not sure to understand if your problem comes from the
database generation or from the database runtime usage.  Assuming, it is
a runtime usage problem, Torque reads database information (i.e.
location , driver, user password) at the initialization time.  If you
want to change database information without having to restart your
application, maybe should you consider using OJB instead of Torque.  If
you still want to use Torque, may should you call  Torque.init to reread
the configuration but I am not sure that this will work if Torque has
already been initialized.

Reading your Torque.properties extract, I do not see the cause of your
problem: it looks like mine except that I use MySQL instead of postgres.

Some ideas on what you could check:
  - are you using Torque 3.0?
  - are you sure you do not have java class names which conflict between
the project and the master databases?
  - are you sure that no error or exception message has been generated
at build time?

Regards

Frederic