db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Eric Emminger <e...@ericemminger.com>
Subject Re: What is the difference between varchar and bytea
Date Thu, 17 Apr 2003 14:37:13 GMT
Zamek

> I have a character encoding problem in my turbine application. If I send
> iso-8859-2 character coded text to varchar field it is working good.
>
> But when I send same character stream to bytea field it is working wrong,
> because there are ? in special characters.
>
> I use postgresql 7.3 in debian 3.0 unstable.
> Jvm is 1.3.0
> Turbine is 2.2 with torque3.0
>
> what do I do wrong?

As far as I know, bytea is a data type specific to PostgreSQL. I think
you'll find the answer in the docs for postgres.

http://www14.us.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.2/postgres/datatype-binary.html

"A binary string is a sequence of octets that does not have either a
character set or collation associated with it. Bytea  specifically
allows storing octets of zero value and other "non-printable" octets."

Eric