db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Erik Price <epr...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: Contribute Torque Logo Ideas!
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2003 19:18:10 GMT

Chris K Chew wrote:
>>From: Erik Price [mailto:eprice@ptc.com]
>>
>>I had actually been trying to think of one last week when I first
>>encountered the site, and noticed that it still uses the Turbine logo.
>>It's putting it into electronic form that is a little difficult (my only
>>graphics program is OmniGraffle, a diagramming tool ;).
>

> I am glad you have already been thinking about this!
>
> The good thing is that most or many of us work in companies that have
> graphics designers.  If you can get your ideas down as best as you can,
> either textually or graphically, I am sure we can find a talented somebody
> to pretty it up.

That's what I was hoping.  Okay, textually will probably be best because
I have been doing a pretty bad job of trying to sketch it out by hand.
(And to think that I was going to go to art school ten years ago.)

I was thinking about both the name of the software, "Torque", and of the
purpose of the software, object persistence (transforming Java objects
into relational tables and back again).  The word connotes to me a
spinning force, and of course that always makes me think of automotive
engines and transmissions, which do a transformation of their own
(controlling combustion and transfering it into motion).  I will try to
be as detailed as I can.

The image that came into my mind was a stylized icon depicting a couple
of gears interlocked with one another, perhaps even along an axle or
something.  The gears/axle apparatus would ideally occupy a diagonal
vector such as upper left to lower right, allowing for whitespace in the
lower left and upper right.  The whitespace to either side of the
gearset would be occupied by faintly visible monospaced text.  Closer
inspection of the text would reveal that on one side of the gearset, the
text consists of SQL statements.  The text on the other side of the
gearset consists of Java code.

Further details: on both sides of the gearset, the text seems almost to
fade into the background (perhaps using a gradient), and most of the
code is actually tucked underneath the gearset itself.  My idea was to
give an impression of generic SQL and Java code, not actually spell out
a specific line of code from the project (though code from the project
would clearly be the most appropriate place to draw from).  I guess if I
had to come up with a single word to describe what I mean, it would be
that the code is "subtle".  And as for the gearset itself, my original
thought was that it would be a very simple stylized 2-dimensional
coupling of some gears, maybe 2 bigger ones and a smaller one, but I
also think that CAD software does a good job of making nice, simple,
colorful 3D shapes that could be used.

That's the general idea I had.  Designers and decisionmakers should feel
free to change it if they even use any of it; for instance, I just like
stylized images, but if others prefer photorealistic then by all means.

Erik

PS: I hope I didn't steal this idea from somewhere, I feel like I've
seen the "faded Java code" somewhere once before but I can't recall
where.  Oh well.