db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Matt Hughes <mhu...@ucalgary.ca>
Subject Postgres bytea encoding
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2003 20:10:58 GMT
Zamek writes:

 > Hi All,
 >
 > Perhaps it is not a torque problem, but I have no idea...
 > So when I insert strings into postgresql it working good encoding.
 > And when I insert strings into bytea typed fields, its encoding is wrong.
 > Same string inserted different in varchar and bytea fields.

I don't think any encoding is done to bytea data; it just stores raw
bytes. From the docs:

  Second, operations on binary strings process the actual bytes, whereas
  the encoding and processing of character strings depends on locale
  settings.

If you want encoding, use varchar or text fields.

see:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/view.php?version=7.3&idoc=1&file=datatype-binary.html