db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Dwayne Schultz <dwa...@schultz.net>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Colle-SQL v0.1.1 Released
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2003 18:35:28 GMT
On Monday, Mar 3, 2003, at 10:09 US/Pacific, Kurt Schrader wrote:

> Don't we have enough Object/Relational mapping layers already?

Colle-SQL is not an Object/Relational mapping, and as I see it, neither
is Torque.  Object/Relational mappers take existing class hierarchies
and map them to an existing relational schema.  Colle-SQL takes a
relational schema and creates a class hierarchy to facilitate working
with the relational schema.

> Why not just help out with Torque instead of building such a similar
> project?

As I said in my original post, Colle is an effort to release some
existing code to the open source community.  Colle-SQL is the first
piece to be released.  Other pieces have no direct dependencies on
Colle-SQL.  More specifically, our middleware and web forms code would
work fine with Torque.  Our first reaction on learning of Torque was to
skip Colle-SQL and move directly to Colle-Mid (the middleware portion).
  But after a closer inspection of Torque we decided the benefits of
Colle-SQL would get lost if we didn't release it first.

Dwayne