db-torque-user mailing list archives

From Guillaume Barre <Guillaume.Ba...@technomedia.ca>
Subject RE: UML/XMI/JMI and Torque
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2003 18:33:54 GMT
Hi

I actually work on a internal project to generate the project-schema.xml
file from an XMI file.

We use MagicDraw to draw the UML version of our application. With MagicDraw
we are able to export the UML model in XMI 1.0 format and after we user XSLT
transformation to generate the project-schema.xml.

The transformation is based on the XMI informations who are in the XMI file.
Torque specifics informations, with no sens in UML aspect, are added in the
UML model by using "stereotype", for example we use one "PrimaryKey"
stereotype...

Whis this our target is to change only the model and generate automaticaly
the backend of the application.

Guillaume

-----Original Message-----
From: Owens, Ryan [mailto:rowens@uhd.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 12:39 PM
To: Turbine Torque Users List
Subject: UML/XMI/JMI and Torque

I've been using torque for a while and love it.
What drove me to torque in the first place was the idea of having all of a
system's objects/models defined in XML and then generated for me. This
process is extremely helpful to me in visualizing a system's model. So the
logical next step is to have a tool to do this visually. (And then print out
model charts/schemas and all kinds of cool stuff)

As a study, I'm using Poseidon UML to draw up UML versions of some example
systems (like Bookstore). Poseidon (based on ArgoUML) saves out to an XMI
file (XML Metadata Interchange). Basically all the same information exists
in the XMI and Torque project-schema.xml files, but obviously in very
different ways.

So the questions is, does anyone know about an effort to load an XMI file
into torque?
So far I haven't found anything and am looking into a way to do this.
Wouldn't it be cool to model your schema in Poseidon (or any other tool that
uses XMI, I believe Rational does) and then be able to use it with Torque!

This could be done in a number of ways, but my current bias would be to use
the Jave Metadata Interface (JMI).

My research is only just beginning but it seems that JMI can load XMI..  and
I could then feasibly generate a torque project-schema.xml file from there.

And one step further..  does anyone know what Torque's metamodel is based
on? I know what the project-schema.xml file looks like of course, but I've
no idea what torque does with that internally.
So I guess the question is, does/could Torque make use of JMI internally to
represent its metamodel, and possibly leverage any future JMI tools?

Ok, sorry to subject you all to my brainstorms. Does this kind of thing
belong on the dev list instead?

Thanks!

   Ryan Owens